Nothing stays the same, thankfully. Change creates energy and excitement. Be inspired by both the challenges and the possibilities that change brings. The better and faster we are at adapting to change, the stronger and more successful we become as individuals, and as a company. Change provides us with a unique opportunity for competitive advantage.
Change is the pathway to success. We all see this in our daily lives. The world around us changes constantly. Therefore as a company we must embrace the process of change in order to be successful. It is one thing to recognize and know that to be true and another to act on it.
Embracing change can be hard. Some people associate comfort and security with things “as they are” . They don’t like to change because it may be confusing and uncomfortable. It forces some people out of their comfort zone. This can’t be how we do things at Webco. We must evaluate our performance constantly and look for ways to improve everything we do, every time we do it. We can so this better if we try to model these behaviors:
- Demonstrate Flexibility – Be open to trying new things and willing to help make things better.
- Maintain a positive attitude – Change is hard, it is important that we don’t get frustrated by the process or by others bad attitudes and that we stay positive and supportive. Model the behavior you want to see in others.
- Don’t dwell on the past – It is critical to learn from our past, but don’t live there. We have a limited amount of energy to apply to change, don’t waste it dwelling on the past. Apply your energy to the change that will make us a better company.
- Set your goals high – Think big. If it is worth the effort to change, let’s maximize our improvement. When there are bumps along the way (and there will be many), learn from them. Don’t allow them to limit our goals.
- Let go of the Status Quo – Good enough is the exact opposite. We can’t hold on to “the way we always did it”. As employees we must push each other to let this go. Don’t accept this from yourself or your coworkers. People who embrace the status quo are slowing down the rest of the team and negatively impacting our ability to succeed through change.
Every day we need to be focused on modeling the behaviors that we want to see in each other. We need to be supporting and pushing each other through this process and ensuring that change is embraced at our company. We should ask ourselves one question every day “What are we getting better at?”. By asking ourselves this question, we begin to focus beyond the immediate issues and start to think about the bigger picture which is continuous improvement through embracing change.
“Progress is impossible without change, and those who can’t change their minds can’t change anything” – George Bernard Shaw
– Scott Marshall